Which do you want to be? Do you want to be the person who gives of him/herself to others and reap the gifts you will receive in heaven? Or would you rather be selfish and reap the temporary evil rewards the world will offer you while you're here? I'd say its tempting to live selfishly. I'd say a lot of people do. But I guess my question is how? How do they do it and not feel guilt? Do they not feel the tug of God telling them they might be doing the wrong thing? That maybe that choice is going to permanently damage someone else who doesn't deserve it? I know when I've been selfish, I feel it, I know it, and I quickly try to change my attitude, repent, and do what's right. I look at my parents. How selflessly they live their lives. They live quietly, peacefully, and the rewards they will reap one day will far outweigh the hardship, pain, and devastation that have happened in their lives, and I pray that they truly know that deep down inside that someday its going to all pay off. They are not greedy people. They don't complain. They do what's right. That is how I want to live my life. That is how I want to train my children to go. When you think about it, think of one selfish person you know and look at their life. I bet they aren't happy. I bet they feel alone. I bet they are miserable, even if they don't act like it. But you can't tell me that at night, when they go to bed they can honestly say they like who they are and what they have done. I know I don't like myself very much when I live like that. Kids, by nature are selfish. As they grow older, most of them learn that its not OK to be that way. Sometimes they don't. Than they turn into selfish adults who care about nothing more than what is theirs, and it makes no difference whose in the way. They will scream, shout, pout, and throw fits to get their way. Leaving behind a path of destruction, not caring who they have hurt along the way. As long as the end result is what they wanted, than who the heck cares if someone suffers because of it. *sigh* they have so much to learn...
I guess the most important thing to remember is that we cannot change others. All I can do today is what I know is right. What I know God wants. What I know is pleasing to Him. I can't carry the burden of other peoples atrocities anymore, can I? Certainly God doesn't want that for me either. He carries out just punishment, and it is not for me to worry about or carry with me. How can I live my life selflessly if I am allowing others to dictate how I feel today? I can't. So Lord....take it. Its yours. You and only You are able to handle these things and deal with them accordingly.
I am grateful to be a selfless person. (usually)
I am grateful to have parents who have taught me so well. (thank you mom and dad. I love you!!)
I am grateful that when I die my reward will far outweigh anything this world has to offer me.
After all, this world is not my own. I am only passing through.
I will continue to pray for the selfish people out there. I pray that they will someday find the meaning of real joy.
And that it is not in material worldly things that you can't take with you.
Sorry for the "downer" blog, but its mine and I can write what I want. This is how I work through things.
God Bless You All!
Kristy
Amen! Having purpose in furthering God's Kingdom and being blameless in the eyes of our maker is a constant goal! I don't know how anyone could stand not having that assurance in this tough world! Thanks for the reminder as I give give give!
ReplyDelete