So, I decided now that I have a picture to go with the story, I will share with y'all how Luke came into my Dad's life. Obviously this is how I see it... ;O)
My Dad has had German Shepherds for the majority of his adult life. Growing up I remember always having a Shepherd in the home. His last Shepherd, Max lived to about 14?? or so before he had to be put down. My Dad decided not to get another one. After Danny died, I could just see the pain, emptiness, loneliness my Dad had, and there was nothing I could do for him. After a bit of time, I felt this strong desire to find him a German Shepherd. I thought maybe it would give my Dad "something"......so I started looking around for adult Shepherds that needed a new home and every once in a while I would throw the idea out to him. After some time, Dad started showing a little bit of interest, so I would send him pics of Shepherds that needed a home, and he always said "No.....I don't think so. Its going to take a very special dog before I'll consider it." After that, I stopped looking for a while.
A few weeks later I saw this random ad for a German Shepherd that needed a new home. There was no picture, very limited information about the dog in the ad, pretty much just a phone number. Now I am not one to pick up the phone and call a stranger to inquire about a dog, but something told me to go for it. So I called this gal, she sent me a picture, told me all this information about "Lucian" (the name he used to have), and I emailed the pic to my dad with all the information I had gathered. He wanted to meet him!! I was so excited!! So I called the gal back, made arrangements for her to drive to my parents house, my dad took the day off of work, and the woman drove him to my parents house. She had told me how worried she was because the dog was so attached to her, and hadn't been raised with a man in the house, and didn't know how the dog would do with such a situation.
I tell you what. That dog hopped out of her vehicle and never looked back, and neither did my dad.
This dog needed my Dad and my Dad needed this dog. The way it happened is so amazing to me. God's hand was in this from the beginning. Luke has filled my Dad's heart with love and joy. Helped fill some of the emptiness he feels. My Dad has filled Luke's heart with the same stuff. Luke is a spoiled, very much loved German Shepherd, and I am so grateful that God brought him into my Dad's life.
Its just what he needed!!
![]() |
| "Mr. Rookee Rook" |

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.